Golfer advances to state

Sophomore finishes 3rd at Regionals

Bridget Wylie

Sophomore Morgan Wylie putts at the regional tourney in Ferris.

Sophomore Morgan Wylie finishing 3rd overall at the regional meet on April 11-12 qualified for state in Austin.

“I am very proud of the grit Morgan showed when he was down a little bit,” Golf coach Vance Morris said.

In golf their are cheaters and then their are the people that are truly honest about their score.

“I want my players to realize that golf is a game about honesty and truly playing the game right,” Vance Morris said.

Sophomore Morgan Wylie and graduate Ty Tucker advanced to regionals last year the expectations are a little higher this year.

“The team this year is a lot more experienced that last years team,” Wylie said. “We have players that know how to do the little things.”

Wylie has expectations of his own for the season.

“I want to compete better than I did last year,” he said. “I want to take each competition one step at a time.”

The Wildcat golf team has played one tournament this year at River Creek golf course.

Wylie shot a 84; freshman Conner Byrd, 108; freshman Gavin Morris, 108; junior Michael Aulds, 112; and senior Brady Kyle, 118.

“I expect myself to shoot in the low 90’s and if everyone else shoots in the high 80’s I feel like well make it to regionals,” Aulds said.

I want to take each competition one step at a time

— Sophomore Morgan Wylie

Players have been told that the competition will be a little easier this year since some good players from other schools have graduated.

“I know one kid from Olney left and the other kid from Seymour that beat me left also so I think we are in pretty good shape,” Wylie said.

In order to get better spend time practicing on their own time.

“My players need to get out and practice a lot more than they have been and that’s what I want them to know,” Vance Morris said.

As a freshman, Conner Byrd said he just wants to compete and to do his best.

“I want to shoot around a 88, but my main goal is to go out and see how, so ill be prepared for next year,” Byrd said.

The golf team did not meet their expectations this year by making it to regionals.

They ended up getting 3rd overall for the district.

“We’ll be back better than ever next year because now we know what district is like and we’ll be prepared,” Aulds said.