Stepping it up

New group brings ‘swag’ to pep rallies

Junior Erin McGregor, sophomores Grace Morris and Sierra Mooney and junior Bailey Rice lead the group in their performance. Photo by Maurisha Murphy

Everyone in the pep rally freezes as the group of girls runs out onto the basketball court. Coach Krissa Johnson takes the mic and announces that the group, the “Savage Steppers,” will be performing.

The Savage Steppers is a new group that performs dance routines and skits at the high school pep rallies.

Led by Coach Mallory Mooney, the Savage Steppers banded together in an effort to make the pep rallies more enjoyable for the students.

“We had a step team where I went to high school that I always wanted to be a part of,” Coach Mooney said, “so I decided I could just make my own for other students to enjoy.”

They make the pep rallies more enjoyable.

— junior Tyler Briggs

According to members, it can be very difficult to get everything prepared for the weekly performance.

“We only meet about twice a week: after school and during lunch,” senior Taylor Sims said. “During that time, we have to pick out music, coordinate outfits and, depending on the theme of the week, gather certain props.”

However, all the efforts of the Savage Steppers have not gone unnoticed by the student body.

“The Savage Steppers have brought swag and a lot of school spirit to the pep rallies,” junior Tyler Briggs said. “They make the pep rallies more enjoyable.”

The Savage Steppers have a different skit for each pep rally that pertains to the theme of the week.

“It’s very difficult coming up with a new skit or dance routine every week,” Coach Mooney said. “All of our members are involved in cheerleading and volleyball, so setting practice times can get difficult.”

This year is the first year for a group like the Savage Steppers, but both team members and students are looking forward to the Savage Steppers becoming a permanent part of the pep rallies in future years.

“I hope that the Savage Steppers will continue performing next year,” Briggs said.

Coach Mooney is also anticipating more years of the Savage Steppers, but she said it’s up to the students.

“It would be really cool if the Savage Steppers would become a tradition,” Coach Mooney said. “We’ll just have to see who wants to join the group next year.”