Money or Happiness

Lane Collins, Photo Editor

A big house, nice car and latest fashion trends or peace of mind, not dreading the work day and ultimate happiness? 

These are all choices that students who are about to embark on their journey through college and into their future career must make.

“Money isn’t worth sacrificing my happiness at my job,” senior Grace Morris said. “You cannot buy happiness. Being rich is not worth being miserable.”

I would rather be financially secure. I want to be able to provide for my family, as well as myself, everything we need and more. I am willing to sacrifice my happiness for a fraction of the day to insure the happiness of my family when I come home.

— senior Lauren Castles

While some students are close to these decisions, others still have time to ponder on their choices in life.

Eighth grader Aspyn Huseman has already made her decision.

“Even though I would like to be wealthy, I want to enjoy my job” she said.

Some students like senior Lauren Castles feel that money is an absolute necessity that trumps happiness.

“I would rather be financially secure,” Castles said. “I want to be able to provide for my family, as well as myself, everything we need and more. I am willing to sacrifice my happiness for a fraction of the day to insure the happiness of my family when I come home.”

Younger students are already implementing their decision in their high school life.

“I would totally rather make more money and not be happy at my job,” sophomore Tessa Brooks said. “I enjoy going out with friends and I know that I have to make money in order to do those things. Even though my job doesn’t make me happy, I know it won’t be my job forever. It provides me with the money that I need.”

While some believe it is a one way answer, senior Jeffrey Reeves said that if plans are made right, it can lead to both wealth and happiness. Maybe not instantly, but with patience it can happen.

“It really depends on the amount of money that my job would be paying me,” Reeves said. “If I made a really high amount, then I could work for a while and retire early. I would be able to have financial security, while not having to work for as long. It’s all about perspective.”