Band rounds out year

Paige Victory, News Editor

Junior drum major tryouts for the Prowlin’ Growlin’ Wildcat band are today. Tryouts will be held in the band hall.

“There is usually a good number of students who want to participate in the tryouts,” band director Karen Brunker said. “The kids are always a little nervous, but they do a good job.”

The participants will learn who will be the next junior drum major under soon-to-be senior drum major Audrey Schroeder shortly after the tryout.

“Some advice I can offer up,” Schroeder said, “is just to remember your fundamentals, be loud and try your hardest.”

Schroeder will be attending the tryout to offer her support to the students trying out.

The PGWB banquet will be Monday to say goodbye to the seniors and give out awards and recognition for the year.

“I’m excited about the band banquet because Mrs. Brunker always gives out these ‘gag’ awards, and those are always fun,” senior Bradley Anderson said. “I’m also looking forward  to getting to say goodbye to my fellow band mates and Mrs. Brunker.”

For seniors, this will be their last chance to celebrate all they’ve accomplished.

“It’s sad that it’s my last banquet but I’m happy to finish the year with my friends,” senior Lane Collins said.

Junior Emily Richardson will be returning to Austin for the third time to compete at state for solo and ensemble.

“Being the third time going to state, it feels kind of comforting more than terrifying,” Richardson said. “I’ve been practicing rhythm speeds, and I am hoping to get a one instead of the two I got last year.”

The PGWB had their last concert April 26.

“The performance was great,” junior Brian Delarosa said. “I’m really glad that the seniors got one more good performance before they leave us for good.”

The softball girls were unable to attend the concert due to a playoff game.

“Because of the games,” freshman Cade Strickland said. “We were missing a huge chunk of our band, but we still did a pretty good job.”

The J-Cat band also performed at the concert.

“We have definately improved since the Christmas concert,” seventh grader Olivia Armstrong said. 

Next year, the PGWB will still have their biennial trip, but they will also get another chance to advance to state. 

“The UIL realigned the classifications that advance,” Mrs. Brunker said, “so it ended up being back to back for us.”