FFA

Jacob Wadley, Photo-Story Editor

The Future Farmers of America have been entering and showing in stock shows around the county and state.

Sponsor Cliffton Russell has accompanied FFA members entered in the shows, helping them along the way.

“I think that it’s a great experience for members to show animals or to even have them,” Mr. Russell said. “It gets them out of their comfort zones and they might even consider showing animals even out of high school.”

In the stock shows, a variety of animals are shown, from chickens all the way up to large cattle.

Each year has its own set of challenges. This year I was facing a lot of higher quality heifers but I believe I did okay.

— senior Jack Herring

For seniors Jack Herring and Blake Dunkel, they have shown heifers and market steers in the shows.

“The preparation of most cattle, mainly heifers, is making sure that they are given proper portions of food,” Dunkel said. “Fitting them is also very important during the shows. Fitting meaning that the hair is clipped and fluffed up on the legs and tail.”

For cattle, Dunkel placed fifth out of 12 and Herring placed fifth as well out of eight  in the county show.

“Each year has its own set of challenges. This year I was facing a lot of higher quality heifers but I believe I did okay,” Herring said.

Senior Shaylee Watson and junior Delaini Hanna went to San Antonio to show market hog and breeding sheep.

“For market hog, the top 10 make the sale so I would like to at least place in my class,” Watson said.