Teacher utilizes past experience to provide students with life skills

Courtesy photo

FCA teacher Donette Odom tends to her bees with her niece.

Iryna Hotsuliak, Reporter

By dedicating 29 years to teaching her own life experiences, Family and Consumer Sciences teacher Donette Odom works to make a difference in her students’ lives.
Odom incorporates student needs. Listening and giving the best advice she possibly can is what Odom chooses to conquer the hearts of her students.

Students just need to have someone hear them,

— Home Economics teacher Donette Odom

“I always try to encourage them to see both sides of a situation and let them vent something out,” Odom said.
She said she wanted to learn to the best of her ability to teach her knowledge and has 1800 hours of relationship skills.
“When I went through my divorce, I wanted to be a better me, I wanted to be a better teacher, I wanted to be a better mother, I wanted to be a better everything that I possibly could be,” Odom said. “So I started those hours to teach something I was never taught.”
She coached music memory and listening skills for junior high for 21 years as well as principles of human services to the eighth grade class. She also taught government and economics classes. Currently, Odom teaches Family and Consumer Sciences.
“Anything from dabbling in the stock market to the current financial situation in the world, to government issues, to how to change a diaper, what to do when a girl is pregnant, buying a home or a car, composting, even how to sew a button,” Odom said are skills she teaches.
Under Odom’s leadership students competed at nationals in San Diego, California.
“She made the process more understanding and easier since there was a bunch of background things going on,” junior Kole Stovall said. “Ms. Odom made me able to enjoy the trip and the competition.”
Odom used to host a Girl Talk during lunch where girls would come in and talk about the things they have been through and share their experiences.
“Well, that grew to where there were boys coming in, wanting to understand, wanting to learn and find out ‘why does she do this?’” Odom said.
Odom is actively expanding her vision and can debate in many areas of knowledge. Her original degree is in business education.
“I have an emphasis on the economics and government aspects, business law and constitutional law, where studies in depth,” she said.
Her passions used to be dancing and twirling. She revealed she had tried out for the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders. She got in a car wreck when she was only 19, hindering her dancing. She said going through those things made her a stronger person.
“I made the first cut [for the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders]but by the time of the second cut I had already got into the car wreck,” Odom said. “I had 21 broken bones.”
Beside teaching, helping students and running organizations at school, Odom finds time for her hobbies she enjoys.
“I love doing crafts and artwork,” Odom said. “I have a vegetable and flower garden, and tend my little farm while teaching twirling.”
Odom is highly valued among other teacher’s staff.
“Ms. Odom is always nice to me because she lets me use her kitchen and utensils,” Spanish teacher Ruben Martinez said. “She has always been supportive to Spanish class and always has my back.”
Every year, she has a mix of new and returning students to take her classes. They look not only for life skill knowledge from her teaching but also for a supportive talk.
“I like her class because she actually cares a lot about her students,” junior Oisha Halimova said. “She takes a lot of extra time from her day to make sure we get the best possible experience.”
Odom explained her passion for wanting to help communicate and understand relationships.
“I can teach those difficult experiences to others to help them reduce theirs,” Odom said.