Off-campus lunchtime: Junior, senior debate pros, cons of leaving during lunch period

July 29, 2022

Pro

High school students have not been allowed an off-campus lunch for years. Students would greatly appreciate an open campus.
Students are burdened with the hectic atmosphere of the bustling and crowded hallways, and the cafeteria is no different. Allowing off campus lunch would give students an opportunity to take a break from the inherently loud high school hallways. Leaving the school to go get lunch or even go home for the lunch period would calm any anxiety that the busy school day can cause. It would give them some time to take a nap, watch an episode of their favorite television show or enjoy their lunch in the peace and comforts of their home.
Allowing off-campus lunch can also improve the conditions of the school considering COVID-19 and the overcrowding of the lunch tables. Because there are few places where students are permitted to have lunch, some areas are overcrowded, but a simple solution to this would be to allow students to leave the campus. Of course not all students will have the ability to leave, but maybe they could still eat lunch in the parking lot or in other areas of the school just to be able to relax and escape the loud environment.
Though there is a possibility that students can abuse their freedom and get in trouble outside of school, the best solution to this is to allow the students who have not been in any disciplinary trouble and have a clean record to leave, while the other students that do not have good behavior could be accounted for and ensured that they are still in the cafeteria. It is also important to note that the juniors and seniors are allowed to leave during their dual credit period after their course is completed, and this would be similar to allowing students to leave during lunch.
It wold be appreciated by students if they are allowed to leave campus during lunch. Though there are some difficulties present, allowing students to leave during specific days and regulating who can and cannot leave could help dodge those issues and benefit the students.