Cheerleaders take over responsibilities during hardship

Juniors OIivia Kellar, Audry Lopez and Kinleigh David cheer on the Wildcats in their game against Hico. The girls wear orange ribbons in support of Greg Oliver’s fight against cancer.

In moments of grief, some cave in while others band together, destined to prevail. That is precisely what the high school cheerleaders have done due to their provisional loss of cheerleading sponsor Sonja Oliver. While Mrs. Oliver is with her husband Greg Oliver, who has acute myeloid leukemia subtype one, the cheerleaders have temporarily taken on her responsibilities.

“We just have to put more work into what we do,” junior Olivia Kellar said. “With the Savage Steppers and other things we’re doing at the pep rallies, it makes the work we do a bit shorter. We bear a lot of new tasks, but it’s all for a great reason.”

For sophomore Hannah Mayes, this year as a cheerleader has been difficult. She said it can be demanding at times because it is her first year being a high school cheerleader.

“I didn’t realize how much she did until she was gone,” Mayes said. “It’s a tiring job, but it will all be worth it in the end.”

Senior Madison Lucido said it’s just what they have to do to help Mrs. Oliver through this rough journey. By assuming the duties of organizing football games, decorating pep rallies and learning cheers, the cheerleaders have accepted a slight hardship.

“We have taken on a huge responsibility doing what Mrs. Oliver used to do,” Lucido said, “but we’ve managed step up and get the job done. We are doing many fundraisers to help raise enough money for Greg’s medical needs. We are doing all we can and try to treat them like family.”

We will do anything in our power to help Mrs. Oliver and Greg.

— junior Olivia Kellar

To raise money for Mr. Oliver, they have sold shirts and bracelets and worn orange cancer ribbons on their uniforms.

“We will do anything in our power to help Mrs. Oliver and Greg,” Kellar said. “It’s the least we can do with all that she has done for us. We strive to spread awareness and help in any way possible. I know that God will help him through this, but we still want to raise money for his treatment.”

This year has not been easy but sophomore Grace Morris said they all know what to do and work their hardest to get it done. As long as they work together and put in all their effort, it’s not as difficult.

“We all really miss her and can’t wait for her to be back for good,” Morris said, “but she has to be there for Greg in his time of need. We can handle it. She doesn’t need to worry about us.”