Teens ponder age of giving instead of receiving

Andrea Hall, Online-Editor

The themes of the holidays are often about giving,  so students ponder what age they should start giving and stop receiving.

For senior Cienna Diaz 18 is the age that she said she deems appropriate to start giving gifts

“I just feel like you should have a job by 18, and if you have a job, you can buy gifts,” Diaz said. “I stopped getting as many gifts as I used to when I turned 16.”

The thought of not giving or getting gifts is not even plausible for senior Dalton Drennan

“I always try to give gifts to my parents,” Drennan said. “Even when I was littler tried to make homemade gifts for them.”

That is the same attitude that senior Kennedy Huseman said she had.

“Maybe when I leave the house I won’t get as many gifts,” Huseman said. “I do usually try to get my parents a gift, even if it is just a card I made.”

Sophomore Erika Guerra said that she doesn’t think her parents will ever stop giving her gifts, but that maybe her other relatives will stop as she gets older.

“Once I get older and start taking care of myself, my other family members will probably not give me as many gifts as they do now,” Guerra said.

The act of giving gifts started at a young age for junior Destiny Biggers.

“When I was younger, I would always make my mom something,” Biggers said. “It made her happy so I started giving people gifts when I was little because I liked to make people happy.”

Senior Grace Morris said that when she was  in elementary school she would go to the Santa shop that was here at the school and find gifts to give.

“The Santa shop made it easy for me to find gifts for people,” Morris said. “I was little too, so I didn’t have a lot of money to spend on people, but the Santa shop made it easier to give.”