Varsity Girls Basketball

Junior Sam Clements guards an Iowa Park Lady Eagle.

Lane Collins, Photo Editor

The varsity girls basketball has begun with an 11-4 record and for some it is already bittersweet. “It has started to sink in that this is really it,” senior Abby Aulds said. “I’m excited that I have one last year with my team. My goal is just to have a lot of fun and make good memories.”

After making a playoff run to area, the girls are pushing themselves to go even farther this year, said junior Sam Clements.

“We are giving more attention to the little things like rebounding and it’s really making a difference,” Clements said. “We are stronger in the post area compared to last year. Overall I feel like we are playing together as a team this year and that is essential to any great team.”

While this is the last chapter for some seniors, journeys for underclassmen are just beginning. 

“It has definitely been an adjustment,” sophomore Lindy Reid said. “I like playing on varsity because the competitiveness is way higher. It makes me work harder. Everyone on the team is so encouraging.

Just last week, the girls competed in the annual Wildcat Classic tournament. The defeated Haskell to claim the first place title.

The team’s optimism is higher than ever this year, said Aulds.

“We’ve lost some seniors, but we have some really good underclassmen who have stepped up to be leaders, Aulds said. “I think we can have a really long playoff run if we keep our teamwork up.”

They will host Electra in their first district game tomorrow at 5p.