School district needs art classes

Jesica Crouse, Reporter

When people think of Archer City ISD, they often think of athletics or academics, but never art.

Art is commonly viewed as a way for people to express themselves and show their creativity. However, when they do not have a place or supplies to create art, it can result in the skills declining or if they are not exposed to art at a young age, they could never find their talent.

Coming from a 6A school to a 2A school was only a bit of a shock for me. I knew Archer had a small school but I was shocked to find out there was only two fine art classes offered: band and music theory. Also that the last time an art class was offered was sometime in the ‘90s.

Many people may argue that art is a pointless skill not needed in public schools but there are benefits to expressing yourself through art. Many people can become easily angered when they do not have a way to vent their feelings. Art, however, is a safe way to vent in a good environment because there is no wrong way to create art.

Art is also a way to help with problem solving. With all the different mediums you can use you have to figure out how the different types work together and clash. It is something that even the best artists must work and figure out.

The District of Innovation committee recently discussed the possibility of adding an art class if a suitable teacher could be found, which would be a wonderful addition to the variety of what students could be offered.

The classes do not have to be tied to painting, drawing, or pottery, but maybe theater or dance, so students can experience fine art in all spectrums.