Mr. Crowley inspires students

Earth+Space+class+looks+at+the+blood%2C+blue%2C+and+super+moon.+

Earth Space class looks at the blood, blue, and super moon.

Hope Browning, Sports Editor

He claims he’s a man of many experiences, but his students look at him as an inspirational leader around the community.

“I have worked at Archer City High School for 37 years,” science teacher Bill Crowley said. “Prior to working here I taught at Throckmorton for three years. I also have been a lab technician, a volunteer fire fighter and a laymen minister.”

He said that he has taught every science course from sixth grade to seniors.

“I have taught English, health, speech and photography courses as well,” Mr. Crowley said. “Every job I have or had involves teaching just about. I have been in gun safety and water safety training as well as the scout leader for Boys Scouts.”

Although he does not teach journalism anymore, he still writes for differentorganizations.

“I have many articles in different motorcycle magazines,” he said. “I have even written a devotional book for divers.”

Mr. Crowley grew up in a house of teachers and ranchers, and he thinks that’s why he teaches.

“I don’t think I chose teaching,” he said. “Teaching chose me, and I would pick that over ranching.”

Although he started out teaching, he has participated in other occupations. During his involvement of fire fighting, he was placed in a position where he saved a man’s life.

“It’s just doing a job,” he said. “Most people in this field don’t expect people to think of us as heroes because it’s what we are trained to do. The most heroic thing I have done is getting out of bed and continuing after I have been burned out. It’s just an experience you get to know after you find your reason.”

After these years of “experience,” he has continued to tell his administrators that his adventures he goes on are “fact finding missions for my classrooms.”

“I always joke with my superiors about when I go on a trip, it’s always for my classroom,” Mr. Crowley said. “And I always do bring something back. That’s the truth and joy of it.”

With adventuring being one of his hobbies, he also loves to dive, play with his grandkids and participate in shooting sports.

“Although I haven’t dove in a while, my grandkids make it all worth while,” he said. “I also like to ride my motorcycle to different places with my association.”

Mr. Crowley has been to various places with his scuba diving.

“My wife and I travel to different locations,” he said. “We go to Cruz Roja, Cozumel, pretty often.”

His love for adventures is rooted in the realm of science.

“If I could be in another profession, I couldn’t say it would be in a different category. They all fall in the same category: science,” he said.

He said the reason he loves teaching science is because of the categories.

“All sciences are tied together; they all work together,” he said. “It’s just like watching the human body systems. They are all tied together and work together just like science.”

Mr. Crowley said he wants all students to think of him like any other teacher does.

“I don’t want students to think that I only care about the scientific part about class, the testing, the work, none of that,” he said. “I want them to think of me as a teacher who cares about them. That’s the core subject of classes. It’s just like Mr. Castles saying ‘we love our kids’. I want to show you that that is true.”

Mr. Crowley is an inspiration to many students.

“Mr. Crowley is an inspiration to me,” junior Ally Warren said. “He’s my favorite teacher.”

Mr. Crowley said he hopes to continue his work among the students.

“It’s been a good run so far; I hope it continues,” Mr. Crowley said.