Athletes discuss journey to state

Sarah Newton, Features Spread Editor

Being a student athlete can be a juggling act.  In order to be one of the very best it can take years of practice.

“I have gone to tennis lessons since I was little,” sophomore Breanna Howard said. “I go three times a week in the summer and after basketball season I try to go to tournaments in Dallas every weekend or every other weekend.”

Although this is Howard’s first year going to state, she said practice tournaments have helped her prepare because she has been playing girls from 5 and 6A schools.

“I have tried to be more consistent and I worked on my serves so I could get aces,” Howard said.

Senior Morgan Wylie said he had to battle his lung injury so he wasn’t able to practice golfing for awhile.

“I had struggled though district and the first day of regionals,” Wylie said. “I had to work harder than I Have had to before.”

Wylie was the third place medalist overall at regionals, securing his third straight year at state.

“My thirst for success and wanting to make my family proud was my motivation to do well,” Wylie said.

Senior Lauren Castles has played volleyball with clubs since the sixth grade.

“I feel like having played for so long has put me a step ahead, putting me where I am now,” Castles said.

Castles said she likes being good so she doesn’t mind putting in the hard work to stay that way.

“I wanted to get my college paid for so in the end all the hard work paid of,” Castles said.

Castles will be continuing her volleyball career at Lubbock Christian University. Like Castles senior Kweashad Brooks would like to continue running at South Plains College.

“I work hard every day during and after practice,” Brooks said. “Our coaches give us workouts to simulate races to push us to do better.”

Brooks was ranked third in the state going in and won second at the state meet.

“Being able to experience what it feels like to compete at a higher level,” Brooks said. “Also being the only one in my family to do something with such high stakes is motivation to do my best.”

Junior Coltin Knobloch  competed at state in the 400 meter dash and placed fifth.

“I have done a lot of running to get in shape  this year,” Knobloch said. “Food motivates me to do my best.”

Athletic director coach Shad Hanna said that he thinks that people going to state is awesome.

“I think that state is a great accomplishment and for Kweashad and Coltin to have never been to state it will be an exciting weekend and we will see some great athletes,” Coach Hanna said.