District adds new classes to school’s curriculum

Emily Strenski

One of the new courses available is the Nursing course. The class is currently rehearsing their lines for an anti-nicotine puppet show for the elementary students.

Emily Strenski, Editor-in-Chief

a new air system, new classes have been added to the school’s curriculum.

One of those new classes offered is Floral Design, taught by Donette Odom.

“Mrs. [Leslie] Graham texted me during the summer and asked if I’d like to teach the class,” Ms. Odom said. “Of course I said “absolutely.” It’s an incredible way to receive a fine arts credit.”

It’s a good beginners’ knowledge to medicine

— Nurse Sonja Oliver

Another new class that’s been added this year is the Principle Law of Public Safety. This class teaches the basic principals of law enforcement, the juvenile justice system and the court system.

Sergeant Matt England teaches the class and said he believes everyone should know about the law.

“Students should be knowledgeable of the criminal justice system prior to graduation,” Officer England said. “This class provides a different perspective on law enforcement.”

Anatomy and Physiology is taught by LeeAnne Warren.

“I thought we needed a more in-depth study of the human body than what we can provide in biology,” Mrs. Warren said.

Mrs. Warren said the class is good to take if a student is thinking of pursuing a health or science degree.

“If we can bring awareness to kids ahead of time, they might be more successful at the college courses,” Mrs. Warren said.

According to senior Harley Anderson, the class is extremely informative.

“I think it’s a very enjoyable class, and it’s not as hard as I thought it was going to be,” Anderson said.

Nurse Sonja Oliver has taken on a new class this year as well, teaching a nursing course, Intro to Health Services, created by the school.

“I’m really excited,” Mrs. Oliver said. “It’s a good beginners’ knowledge to medicine, especially for those wanting to go into the medical field.”

For students considering nursing as a profession, the course is a good one to take, according to junior Justin Mabry.

“I’m really enjoying the new nursing program this year,” Mabry said. “Mrs. Oliver really helps us understand each thing we study and is preparing us for college.”

This is the first year that ag teacher Clifton Russell has offered the Hunter’s Education course separate from his normal classes.

“Usually it’s a part of my wildlife course, but now I’m offering it to the freshmen and any other student who wishes to take it separately,” Mr. Russell said.

The final addition added to the school’s list of classes is actually a series of classes for seventh through ninth grades.

The Investigating Careers class starts in seventh grade, then College and Career Readiness and then the General Employability Skills class.

“As students move through the courses, they become increasingly ready for adult life,” Coach Krissa Johnson said.