Wildcats Changed Team

Susie Mangum

Senior Conner Byrd runs the ball in the Wildcats 62-7 win over Petrolia

John Machtolff, Sports Editor

The varsity football team has taken class 2A football by storm. The Wildcats are nowhere close to the team they’ve been in the past years.

The Wildcats have been known as a less-than-average team that always came up short. However, the Wildcats are tired of that reputation and have decided to change the culture.

The defense this year has had a tremendous hand in the Wildcats’ success. New defensive coordinator Donnie Gray has taught the team to play mean, aggressive football.

Despite the injury of linebacker Dylan Briggs, who collected 20 tackles in his first game, nothing seems to be stopping this defense.

The Wildcat’s racked up 20 turnovers in just the first four games. Averaging five turnovers per game, the defense is driving offenses crazy.

The Wildcat offense however, has had setbacks this year, most coming from the quarterback position.

The early injury of quarterback Carter Hilbers hurt the team because of the big role he played in the offense.

However, freshman quarterback Ty Bates stepped up in Hilber’s absence.

With district underway, the Wildcats suffered setbacks against Windthorst and Santo. Finding themselves 5-2, the Wildcats want to get back onto the winning side of things.

The only thing stopping them from being the powerhouse team the coaches expect is the connection of the offense.

If the offense gains more momentum they could truly be a strong force. Weapons in the run game like junior Morgan Mobley and sophomore Jaxton Barrett could create problems for defenses.

The Wildcats’ hopes for the postseason are insight and are a matter of proper execution and playing the way they are coached.