3 earn district, region band

Jacob Wadley

Juniors Emily Strenski and Robin Samtlebe, and senior Emily Richardson practice their music. They competed for a spot in the all-district and all-region bands.

Emily Strenski, Editor-in-chief

The Prowlin’ Growlin’ Wildcat Band is preparing for their Christmas concert on Thurs.

“I love the Christmas concert,” band director Karen Brunker said. “I’m always excited to showcase the sixth grade band for their first band concert!”

For some students, this concert will be their last.

“Christmas concerts are my favorite, so I’m really upset this is my last one,” senior Audrey Schroeder said. “I’m hoping this one will be the best on.e yet.”

The concert will also feature the JCAT band and will include a ceremony to honor the seniors in choosing their 2018 Band Beau and Sweetheart.

They also participated in Christmas on the Square Dec. 6.

“We’re going to be playing Christmas carols for the elementary kids to sing to,” Mrs. Brunker said.

Freshman Robert Salyers said he’s excited for the event.

“I love Christmas songs,” Salyers said. “I think they’re pretty neat, so I’m ready to play them. I just hope it won’t be too cold.”

Senior Emily Richardson and juniors Robin Samtlebe and Emily Strenski auditioned for a spot in the ATSSB All-Region Band Dec. 1.

I’m incredibly proud of their work and dedication to learning the music.

— Karen Brunker

“There are three bands formed out of the students who try out,” Mrs. Brunker said. “If they place high enough, they’ll have the opportunity to advance to area band auditions in January.”

Richardson received fourth chair, concert band; and Strenski, seventh chair, symphonic band.

“It was a long wait for results,” Samtlebe said. “The results weren’t quite like I would’ve liked but I didn’t have a whole lot of time to practice, so I just did my best.”

18 junior high band members participated in the junior high district band Nov. 10.

“This is a very tough competition against all of the other schools in the area,” Mrs. Brunker said. “I’m incredibly proud of their work and dedication to learning the music.”

Eighth graders Kelsey Aultman received 22nd chair on clarinet; Candance Taggart, 14th chair on flute; and Kadence Huffman, 10th chair on trumpet.

“This was my first year to make the band,” Taggart said. “I feel really happy. I didn’t go in there to make it, however, I went in there to do my best. I’m excited to do this again next year.”

Richardson, Samtlebe and Strenski also auditioned for a spot in the high school all-district band Nov. 3. Richardson received first chair in percussion; Samtlebe, 24th chair on clarinet; and Strenski, second chair on trumpet.

“I’m really proud to have made first chair my senior year,” senior Emily Richardson said. “I’m excited to play in the district band for the fourth time in a row.”

Mrs. Brunker said that she’s proud of her students effort.

“They did awesome managing their time and learning their music on their own,” Mrs. Brunker said. “They will be participating in a clinic and concert with a guest conductor Jan. 19 in Wichita Falls.”