FFA members to compete in county show

Justin Veitenheimer, News Editor

The Archer City Junior Livestock show will begin on Jan. 4 and continue into Jan. 5. The show will take place at the Archer City Show Barn. The Future Farmers of America will be competing with their animals.

“I’m looking forward to the show,” FFA sponsor Clifton Russell said. “I’m hoping the kids show well and sell well. Christmas time has been a little hectic with getting entries, validations, letters and tags. I believe they will do well if not win the majority of the events they are in.”

The show will start with a weigh in at 6:30 a.m., leading into poultry showing first at 10 a.m. with rabbits at 11 a.m., sheep at 1 p.m. and pigs at 6 p.m. Saturday morning will be the steer weigh in followed by the cattle show.

The buyers’ dinner will be at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, and presentations for former board members will be at 6:30 p.m

My favorite part is learning to provide for future generations

— Jack Herring

The Archer City Show Barn has recently undergone minor renovation to fix and modernize the bathrooms. Junior Jack Herring said that the new bathrooms should be nice.

“My favorite part is learning to provide for future generations,” Herring said. “This year I’ll be showing a heifer, and I believe I will do well because I have a solid calf this year.”

Freshman Mason Gilmore said Future Farmers of America  Is a great program.

“I love the feeling of accomplishment,” Gilmore said, “when I do good showing my pigs in the ring.”

Mr. Russell said there will be a fall cookout for FFA members and faculty on Friday.