Cat's Claw

Varsity Girls Basketball

Back to Article
Back to Article

Varsity Girls Basketball

During last week's Wildcat Classic, junior Shaylee Watson goes up for a layup while junior Maggie Coates prepares to assist. The Ladycats defeated City View in the first game of the tournament.

Carol Cox

Carol Cox

Carol Cox

John Machtolff, Sports Editor

The varsity girls basketball team finished their last tournament of the season in the Wildcat Classic.

“With our tournaments being over and district coming up, we hope to start playing better together,” sophomore Delaini Hanna said.

They know we have growing to do and that we’ll get better throughout the season.”

— head coach Amy Huseman

The Ladycats have just three returning varsity players and only one senior on the team.

“Our experience level is different this year than it’s been before,” senior Sam Clements said. “Having more of an inexperienced team, this year I think the goal is for us to better ourselves and play more as a team.”

New coach Mayson Morris has taken the role of assistant girls basketball coach. She coaches alongside head Coach Amy Huseman.

“This is a very young team and with them being young, there’s not a lot of experience,” Coach Morris said. “However, these young players have risen to occasions. I expect all of them to get better, grow and gain more experience. More experience equals more success.”

The Ladycats advanced to the playoffs last year and junior Breanna Howard said she hopes  they can accomplish this goal again.

“This really is a building year where we’re learning a lot,” Howard said, “but I really hope we can make it out of district and into the playoffs.”

Three freshman are on the varsity team. Bailey Grant and Aspyn Huseman start on the court for the Ladycats.

“Everyone pretty much knows that we’re young. They know we have growing to do and that we’ll get better throughout the season,” Huseman said. “We just need to slow down and focus on causing fewer turnovers.”

The Ladycats’ overall record is 5-9 as district approaches.

About the Contributors
John Machtolff, reporter

My name is John Machtolff. I'm a freshmen that just entered my first year of newspaper. I play football, basketball, golf, and run track. I also participate...

Carol Cox, Adviser

Going into my 26th year of teaching journalism, I advise the newspaper, yearbook and broadcast. I am blessed to work with such talented students! This...