Ladycats miss playoff run for first time in six years

Chase Stafford

Freshman Aspyn Huseman dribbles past Windthorst defender.

John Machtolff, Sports Editor

The Ladycats have concluded their basketball season with a district record of 4-8. The girls will not return to the playoffs this year.

“It was a little disappointing to not make playoffs,” freshman Maddie Lopez said, “though it was a good experience to play on varsity as a freshman.”

The Ladycats are only losing one senior this year, so they will still have the majority of the team.

They learned through the year and became a better team

— Coach Mayson Morris

“We will miss Sam Clements,” Coach Mayson Morris said, “but we will have lots of players returning next year. So we’ll have more experience on the team.”

This year was different from the winning seasons the girls had before. There were little  things that junior Maggie Coates believes hurt them in games.

“We started kind’ve slow,” Coates said, “we just couldn’t always get going at the right time so we were behind a lot. But when we got going, we were good and played some good games.”

The team only had one win in the first half of the season, but they gathered more wins in the second half and played close games with teams that had beaten them before.

“Toward the end of the year, we decided to fight,” Coach Morris said. “They learned through the year and became a better team. They found their identity and fought to win games.”

Freshman Baylie Grant is  hopeful for next year and has high standards for the team.

“We will be better next year,” freshman Bailey Grant said. “We did struggle this year but we learned and we will be able to use what we learned to win games. I believe we’re going to make the playoffs next year and I have a good feeling about it.”