JV Basketball

Abigail Esquibel

Junior Karlis Bergs dribbles the ball down the floor.

Kelsey Aultman, Features Editor

OVERALL: 2-6

BRIGHT SPOTS: Sophomore Colton Canada says the team has started to bond this year.

“I think we’ve really come together this year,” Canada said. “We were able to work through many of the conflicts we’ve had and I think that’s really important.”

INSIDE  SCOOP: This year there are two foreign exchange students on the team. “You can tell they’ve actually played the game, but it is still very different,” Coach Donny Gray said. “It’s kind of fun to watch them figure out how we play, and both Sergio [Quintana Pereiro] and Karlis [Bergs] try very hard.”

Bergs said playing on an organized team for the first time is a new experience. “It is very different from just playing with friends. You have to think of the plays that the coaches are giving, and that takes a lot of brain power,” Bergs said. “But I feel like I’m improving a lot since I came here.”

COACH’S VIEW: “Having only two practices before the first game totally dictated the outcome,” Coach Gray said. “We didn’t have hardly any time to put anything in and we are definitely not in basketball shape yet.”

He said the team has improvements to make before the next game. “The organization of our defense and offense will be much better and by the next game we’ll know what to do,” Coach Gray said

ATHLETE’S VIEW: “I guess you could say there’s ‘team chemistry,’” Sophomore Breden Hulse said. “Most of us have all played together before and know what to expect from each other. It makes playing a lot easier.”

I think we’ve really come together this year.

— Colton Canada