Cheer squad steps up in leadership, skills

Cherith Meek

The cheerleaders perform the school song.

Kelsey Aultman, News Editor

Four freshmen, three sophomores, only one upper classman and a new mascot. This year’s varsity cheer squad has made several improvements and has five All American cheerleaders.
“It’s hard being the only upperclassmen on the squad,” junior Maddie Lopez said. “But I really enjoy the sophomores because they’ve really stepped up their game leadership wise.”
Cheer sponsor Amy Mayo said that the freshmen are excited to cheer on a varsity squad.
“Last year we had four seniors who were good leaders but not as eager as this year’s group,” Mayo said. “This year we have four incoming freshman who are excited and eager for high school cheer, and I think they can bring a lot to the squad.”
Freshman Kambri David said that she’s really excited to cheer in high school.
“It’s a lot of work, but it’s so much fun,” David said.

I really like our squad this year and I’m looking forward to cheering with them.

— Kambri David

Lopez said she’s seen some good improvements since last year.
“We communicate more often since we’re a lot closer in age,” Lopez said. “And almost everyone is always on their game. They learn the cheers and dances we send out videos and they step up and give us their opinions if they need to.”
Mrs. Mayo said the squad’s stunts have progressed.
‘Our stunt groups have improved so much. Usually we could consistently get one stunt up during a pep rally,” she said. “But this year we can throw up two basket tosses, which is a really great improvement.”
At their summer cheer camp, five out of eight squad members made All American cheer: Kambri David, Kelsey Aultman, Camryn Cox, Kadence Huffman, and Maddie Lopez.
“I’m really proud of the girls that made All American,” Mayo said. “It just goes to show that we were the top competitor with the majority of the squad making the All American team.”