Elementary brings back Spring Fling with book fair, art contest Feb. 22-25

Junior Abby Esquibel

Fourth graders painting their animal art projects

Rebecca J. Taggart, News Editor

The elementary will be hosting the scholastic book fair Feb. 22-25, with the Spring Fling happening on Feb. 24.
Librarian Amanda Awakuni said she is trying something new with the book fair this year.
“We will have a book fair committee made up of eighth graders,” she said. “Their job is to help with themes, decorations and dress-up ideas.”

The book fair is a fundraiser for the library to buy new books or other items they might need.
“The book fair always does really well in raising money for a school of this size,” Awakuni said. “Last year we were able to buy bean bags and water tiles for the library.”
Fifth grader Adeline Curry said she is looking forward to the book fair.
“I am excited to see all the cool posters,” Curry said.
Last year, the book fair had to be more spread out with fewer people people due to COVID-19 safety regulations.
“This year will hopefully be easier in finding volunteers and setting up,” Awakuni said.
Awakuni said she’s looking forward to the fair.
“I like seeing them excited,” she said. “The students love it.”
The elementary will also be putting on the Spring Fling Feb. 24 – before the last day of the book fair.
“For the Spring Fling, the students do an art painting with help from Rachel Liles who owns an art studio,” Principal Amy Huseman said. “The top three from each class will be auctioned off at the event.”
Each grade has a theme for their art piece that will be paired with writing. Then each grade will have a book with all the students’ work.
The themes include pre-K — Superheroes, kindergarten — careers, first grade — kindness, second grade — ocean animals, third grade — color metaphors, fourth grade — animals, fifth grade — recipes and sixth grade — self portraits, art teacher Amy Emrick said.
The writings vary for each grade.
“Fourth graders are writing riddles about the animals they chose to paint,” Emrick said.
Second grader Braylen Harvey said he chose an electric eel for his ocean animal art project.
“There weren’t that many options and my dad is an electrician, so I decided to do an electric eel,” Harvey said. “The hardest part is making the animal because of the colors.”
The paintings will be on display at the Spring Fling.
“I am looking forward to my family being able to see my art,” Harvey said.
The students work on their projects during their fine arts class.
“The best part is that students love to do these projects,” Emrick said.

I enjoy the time helping them and seeing their smiles.

— Art teacher Amy Emrick

Emrick said there are some difficulties since it is such a busy time of the year.
“There is not that much time in the classroom,” she said. “Trying to finish, while still letting the students enjoy themselves can be hard.”