FFA teams compete in wildlife judging

Estefani Zea, Reporter

Future Farmers of America participated in livestock and wildlife judging, on March 3 in Jacksboro and March 24 in Tarleton State.
“Students competed in livestock judging, wildlife judging and milk quality judgers. Livestock judging is when you have a class of either pigs, sheep, goats or cattle and you have to place them in order from best to worst based on market or breeding standards,” FFA sponsor Tanner Hash said. “Wildlife judging is when the kids rotate through different stations and identify many different things like skulls, pelts, plants, habitats, tracks and many others.”
Hash said that overall the teams preformed great.
“I think our students did very well for the first contest of the year and for many the first contest of their high school career. With a little more practice, I think we can have some very good teams,” Hash said.

With a little more practice, I think we can have some very good teams.

— Hash

The livestock judging team consisted of Zoey Bates, Landri Payne, Victoria Foster and Faith Morris. There were over 200 kids competing and Archer was in the middle of the placing. Bates placed the highest out of the Archer team, Hash said.
“The wildlife team consisted of Hesston Veitenheimer, Kaden Nogle and Ayden Weis. For their first contest, they placed very well,” Hash said.
Veitenheimer said that he thought the judging was a fun experience.
“Enough though I did not place well, I enjoyed this activity,” Veitenheimer said.
Sophomore Landri Payne did livestock Judging.
“I liked judging especially since it involved animals,” Payne said.