Archer City ISD earns state ‘A’ rating for achievements in 2021-22 school year

Candace Taggart, Features Editor

Archer City ISD earned an A rating from the state for the 2021-22 school year. This is the first rating the school’s received since the 2018-19 school year due to the pandemic.
“We really like to be successful as a school, but at the end of the day we’re just here for the students and their success,” Counselor Leslie Graham said.
Dr. John Sherrill, high school principal, said coming out of the pandemic, it was unknown what the rating would be like.
“Fortunately, the accountability for the district is moving away from STAAR test results,” Sherrill said. “Now career-ready classes and certificates− such as welding− are becoming a driver.”
Superintendent C.D. Knobloch said the accountability system is “living” and sometimes the school doesn’t agree with it.
“As a school, we have to be good at what we do and encourage student growth under the state’s direction,” Knobloch said.
The high school earned four distinctions in their rating: Academic Achievement in English/Language Arts/Reading, Academic Achievement in Science, Academic Achievement in Social Studies and Post Secondary Readiness.
“The state compares our high school to 39 others and we have to be top four out of those to earn an A,” Sherrill said. “Our distinctions are a factor in placing in that top four.”
Knobloch said he is very thankful for all students and staff.

I’m blessed to be surrounded by so many smart cookies, including myself,

— senior Chris Allen

“There was a learning loss during and after the pandemic because students weren’t here and then didn’t want to be here,” he said. “The rating speaks for the school as a whole because it takes everybody.”
Senior Faith Morris said that a few smarter classes coming in the past few years is one reason for the good rating.
“Teachers do a good job of preparing for STAAR tests and career prep classes have improved,” Morris said. “But I think it’s mostly the students that contribute to the rating.”
The school has input a few ways for continued improvement and A ratings according to Sherrill.
“We’ve made sure teachers have two conference periods and PrimeTime tutorials so that students have time to get help if they need it,” Sherrill said. “We’ve also created professional learning communities where the administration meets with teachers twice a month to ensure their students are set up for success.”
Knobloch said the school buys programs every few years to help teachers prepare students for tests, but it’s the teachers’ and students’ willingness that allows the school to succeed.
“When you have a student that wants to learn and a good teacher whose on a mission every day to educate − who makes class fun with little downtime − that’s all you need,” he said.
Senior Chris Allen said one reason for the school’s success is the faculty.
“I’m blessed to be surrounded by so many smart cookies, including myself,” Allen said. “A is for awesome, and that’s what this school is known for.”