Varsity football starts season with 2-1 record

Photo by Danika Jones

The Wildcats run out of the tunnel before the game against Anson.

Kelsey Aultman, Features Editor

The varsity football team is currently running with a 2-1 record after their recent wins against Quanah and Anson and their loss to Millsap on Sept. 9.
The players are working with new staff as well as a freshman quarterback and an overall different team from last year.
The new AD, Bradan Ritchey, said working with the players as the new head football coach has been an easy transition.
“I love being around them, and they love being around us,” Ritchey said. “They’ve really taken in the new way of doing things. They were ready to do something different.”
Senior McKinnen Beaver said he likes having Ritchey as the new AD and head football coach.
“Working with the new AD has been great,” Beaver said. “He has brought a whole new look for offense. He has really made a change for the better in our program.”
Ritchey said the team has had many players step up as leaders.
“The cool thing about this team is that the coaches direct and the players lead,” Ritchey said. “On this team, the kids have really stepped up and done a great job at leading each other.”
This season, the varsity quarterback is freshman Joe Castles.
“Being the starting quarterback as a freshman is tough,” Castles said. “But we all help each other out. We have really good leaders on this team, so no matter what we’re always helping each other up.”
Sophomore Sam Machtolff said he thinks this team is close.
“My favorite thing about our team this year is how close we are and that we communicate well,” Machtolff said. “And our team bonding is so much better this year because we all love each other and view our team as a brotherhood.”
Ritchey said he has seen the team show initiative when it comes to discipline.
“They keep each other in line as well as themselves,” Ritchey said. “We count up our mistakes during practice, and as soon as we’re done, the players discipline themselves.”
The team has started a new activity during lunch for team bonding.
“On Tuesdays, we do character talks,” Ritchey said. “It’s something that brings the team together and gives them something to focus on weekly like perseverance or individual responsibility.”
Ritchey said he plans to progress trhoughout the season.
“Our expectation is to improve every week,” Ritchey said. “We have to play our best football at the right time, regardless of win or loss; right now,

. . . All we’re focused on is getting better.

— Coach Bradan Ritchey

.”