Junior, senior exclusive homecoming court earns praise

More stories from Kadence Huffman

In past years, the idea of a full homecoming court has been brought to attention to include freshman and sophomore princesses in addition to the two juniors and two seniors who are voted homecoming queen nominees; however, selecting only juniors and seniors to be on homecoming court makes it more of an honor.
Homecoming court nominations and rules should not change.
The title of homecoming queen is normally given to an individual who is very involved in school activities and their community, as well as someone who is well-liked among their fellow students. This reputation is built up throughout one’s high school career. Therefore, freshmen and sophomores have not had the time to build this up, leaving nominations for princess pointless.
Three years ago, the school decided to have a full homecoming court which included a freshman and sophomore princess. Receiving this title did not have the same excitement as being crowned queen does because it’s already known before the football game, nor does the title hold the same significance as queen does. The community and school did not latch onto this idea willingly, leaving enough reason to keep the traditional court of juniors and seniors. Seeing that this change has already been attempted and was not successful, homecoming nominations should not change.
People in opposition of the traditional nominations only involving juniors and seniors bring up the point that having a full homecoming court would be more inclusive. While this is a valid point, again, being included is something underclassmen can look forward to, making being nominated more of an honor.
Homecoming nominations should continue to only include juniors and seniors who represent values the school is proud of, which provides something for underclassmen to look forward to. The school should not have a full homecoming court.