Time dedicated to spirit positively affects students

Jaycie Holley, Photo Editor

Taking time out of class for school spirit should be an unexcused absence. Along with it being beneficial to the school, spirit can teach students ways to thrive.
For example, during football playoffs, the football boys gather wood for the bonfire. They travel to get wood and begin building the structure. They do this one day during the week of the bonfire during school. They check in and leave to get this done. If they did not do this, the bonfire would not get done causing less excitement for the playoff football game that Friday.
Hallway wars is an exciting activity that brings classes together to show school spirit during the week of homecoming. This year, students and parents were informed of hallway wars the week prior to homecoming. Because of this, I believe it caused a lot of unnecessary stress for everyone and some hallways were not done to their full potential. It would only be right to allow students to take advantage of the class time to be able to work on the hallway.
The cheerleaders spend around four hours on Thursday nights to be able to prepare for the pep rally and game on Fridays. Even though they usually get everything done Thursday, sometimes things happen that need to be fixed before the pep rally. Signs fall, balloons pop, streamers get broken along with other destructions that can come. Cheerleaders should be able to take some time out of a class where they are all caught up or have an elective that they can leave for a little bit to fix up the gym. Without the cheerleaders, pep rally and the decorative gym, the school would not be psyched about the game.
Students demonstrate teamwork by collaborating together to engage school and community. It is proven that students who engage in school spirit perform better academically and feel they have opportunities to achieve more.
Most students feel that when they encourage others, they are also encouraging themselves. When students feel they have brought the school together to get hyped about something, they realized they helped make a unforgettable memory. School spirit demonstrates an overall passion for our school and the willingness to support it. High school can be very overwhelming at times, but by spreading spirit for our school, we can make the experience less dreadful.