Freshman describes meaning of Christmas spirit, traditions

Shianne Bracey, Reporter

When I think of Christmas, I think of the cold and snow, but here in Texas it doesn’t too cold. With that being said I have some alternative for what Christmas spirit means to me.
Many different ways people show their Christmas spirit from putting Christmas lights up to caroling. Personally, my favorites are opening presents on Christmas day and hanging out with family. Every year a bunch of family members come over on Christmas day, make a big meal, hangout and watch “A Christmas Story.”
A tradition my family has done for years now is opening one special present containing pajamas(sometimes matching), hot chocolate, popcorn and a mug. Also our elf on the shelf brings us a movie to watch on Christmas Eve.
Elves on the Shelves are a big thing that many kids have now days. I remember when we got our elf on the shelf and my siblings and I thought is was the coolest thing ever. Usually the elves come on the first day in December and stay until Christmas Eve. I think it’s a good way to get kids in the Christmas spirit.
A bunch of my friends started a Christmas get-together where we make our own side, which could be mashed potatoes, cookies, brownies, cake, punch, ect, and bring them for everyone to eat. Last year we ate chicken spaghetti with the sides everyone else made. We also did secret Santa where we had four themes: each week we had to give our designated person a present that coordinated with that theme. On the day when we had the get-together, we had one last present to give to our person and told them that we were their secrete Santa.
With that being said we also played a game of white elephant where they have a money limit and they get a gift without telling anyone which gift is theirs. With how many people they have, draw a number and that is the order they go in. Now pick a gift and open it in front of everyone and people can steal your gift if they want to but it can only be stolen three times. This is a pretty popular game played around the Christmas time.
Another big thing my family does together is decorate the Christmas tree and put the star or angel on the top of the tree together. Its is a good way for us as a family to bond and do something together.
Many different ways are available to get into Christmas spirit and examples of what Christmas spirit means to me. Now ask “What does Christmas spirit mean to me?”