Varsity Girls Basketball Compete in the Fantasy of Lights Tournament

Adelyn Harvey, Sports Editor

The Archer City Ladycats played in the Fantasy of Lights tournament hosted in Wichita Falls. They came up with a 1-3 record.
The first game they played against Wichita Falls.
“This game we started off kind of rocky,” sophomore Malia Jones said. “As the game progressed, we started to play better defense and our shots started to fall.”
Junior Kambri David said that in the first half their shots weren’t falling.
“I think since the game was in the morning, not all of us were fully awake,” David said. “But as the game went on we started to wake up.”
At one point Old High was a few points ahead, but as the forth quarter came to an end, the Ladycats fought back. The ending score was 34-33 with the Ladycats coming up short.
Their second game was played against Canadian, a 3A school that is ranked first in their division.
“We went into this game knowing they were state-level good,” Jones said.
Jones explained how they knew they were going to lose to Canadian.
“We already had a negative mind-set,” junior Katelyn Casillas said. “I think we got into our heads too much about how good they were.”
David said that none of their plays were working.
“We just didn’t know what to do,” David said. “If we run our plays right they work, but we weren’t playing as a team and we couldn’t run our plays correctly.”
Casillas said that this game is in the past and forgotten.
The third game they played against Hirschi with a positive outcome.
“It took us a minute to get started, but as the game progressed, we kept working better together,” sophomore Alyssa Schroeder said.
Jones said the girls worked together and ran their plays the right way..
“Coach Tyler Owen has provided us with strategic plays that have worked very well,” Jones said. “As long as we run the plays correctly we can get points on the board.”
The girls ended this game on top with a score of 31-15.
The last game was against Millsap.
“We were all very tired and sore,” Casillas said. “But we still showed up and worked hard.”
The Ladycats did end up losing this game, but they “tried their hardest” Jones said.
“We definitely could have done a lot better this game,” Jones said. “We had some good defensive plays and even had some good shots. Overall this tournament has been a great learning experience and has really helped us figure out what we need to work on.”