‘State’ your debate

Senior to compete at Austin in January

Carol Cox

Senior Emily Shephard giving a speech at Regional Congress Debate

Iryna Hotsuliak, Reporter

Placing second at the regional Congress debate contest, senior Emily Shephard is advancing to state. Senior Candace Taggart placed fourth as alternate. Senior Rebecca Taggart placed sixth.
“I’m really excited that I made it this year because I made it my sophomore year, and that’s the year we had that really big snow storm,” Shephard said. ”That was our state competition and we had to compete virtually. It was horrible.”
Shephard competed against 15 other debaters. She said it was close between her and the girl who placed first.
“My speeches were just a little bit more unprepared,” Shephard said. “I know it took them very long time to figure out rankings.”
Congress debate requires contestants to write 20 pieces of legislation for each contest. The state topics will be published by Dec. 1.
“Fingers crossed. State debate is really hard because we are all competing to make it to finals the next day,” Shephard said. “I’m hoping I’m top six.”
Leslie Graham, Congress debate coach, said she is proud of all three contestants.
“Sometimes, that’s the hard part being called on to give speeches but all of them were able to get up and give several speeches during each session,” Graham said. “It’s not something that happens overnight. That’s a lot of effort.“
Competitors who advance to the state finals will participate in Preliminary Congress which will be held at the Capitol building.
“I would love it if she qualifies to be there on day two,” Graham said.
The Congress debate team also included freshmen Shianne Bracey and Isabelle Parker.
“Our role at the meeting was coming up with and asking questions which was quite difficult,” Bracey said. “With me not having a speech ready it was kind of boring but at the same time it was interesting to hear everybody’s opinions on controversial topics.“
The first day of the state debate competition will be on Jan. 4. The Super Congress will take place on Jan. 5.