The science of adventures

Teacher shares various experiences, hobbies outside classroom walls

Iryna Hotsuliak, Reporter

After half of a century of teaching at school, he still has not lost his thirst for education and continues to discover new passions. Science teacher Bill Crowley is proud of perfecting his teaching methods through his interaction with the environment.
Traveling, road trips, RV camping, motorcycles, motorcycle trips, motorcycle camping and scuba diving are the activities that keep Crowley on the go.
“Scuba diving has always been a lot of fun,” Crowley said. “When I started diving, it really affected the way I teach because there’s a lot of science in diving.”
Crowley uses his experience in getting science concepts across for his students.
“Going to nice diving destinations like Florida, Gulf of Mexico, the Bahamas and Mexico opened up my eyes to everything from cultures to scientific discoveries and different ecosystems,” Crowley said. “Something I love to do also coincides with what I teach. It is like a symbiotic relationship.”
Crowley finds science significance in every activity he is passionate about. Motorcycling is one of his favorite things to do. “I bring the physics of motorcycles for my class, and also my bike takes me to such places as mountain ecosystems, desert ecosystems and different places in Texas,” Crowley said. “I have this running joke that the only reason I do these exotic trips and motorcycling trips is just so I can bring it for my class.”
Crowley is a person who gives more than 100% in each field of his life. However, he said that family is the most important part of his life.
“I think my biggest accomplishment in life is being a father,“ Crowley said. “Teaching is down No. 3.“
It seems that Crowley has already experienced all the possible activities – even diving with sharks – but he said he still can not find a good reason to jump with a parachute. However, he also does want to explore the world through traveling across the ocean.
“I want to go to Ireland. Ireland is my ancestral home from what I was told,” Crowley said. “I’ve never been to Europe but I would probably hop the channel from Ireland and go to Italy, particularly to Pompeii.”
Crowley’s family members also take part in his active lifestyle.
“They’re all campers. It’s genetics,” Crowley said. “When money was tight, camping was an inexpensive way to have family time together. Even still we annually have a family camping trip with our three kids, their spouses and older grandchildren.”
Crowley instills in the students a new approach to learning.
“Mr. Crowley shows us a lot of his adventures,“ Abigail Esquibel said. “It is fascinating how he implements the outside knowledge inside the classroom.“
Crowley and English teacher Carol Campbell have been known for being school staff for a long time.
“I’ve always admired Mr. Crowley’s enthusiasm and his hands on approach to teaching,” Campbell said. “He also seems to have opted for the best of both worlds: he teaches halftime and supports his son Chad in his business endeavors.“
Crowley said all people are natural-born learners and a part of that learning comes through experience.
“It’s such a cliche to say ‘Just do it,’” Crowley said. “My best advice is be open to new experiences and through those experiences find your passion and pursue it as much as it is possible.”
Exactly as he did.