Students, faculty address eating habits

Kori Keeter, Reporter

At the start of the new year, the attempt to eat healthier or change eating habits is a common resolution, but some say it can be a struggle to continue diets or follow through with resolutions.
Some begin diets with the sole purpose of losing weight and are more concerned with looks than actual health. Others diet to get in shape for athletics or due to dietary restrictions or sensitivities.
Art and science teacher Ashley Ridenour said she is on a gluten-free diet as well as a low carbohydrate diet.
“I started gluten-free when I found out I had a gluten sensitivity,” Ridenour said. “I started eating low carbohydrate because of a medical condition that causes low insulin and I really want to avoid becoming diabetic.”
Freshman Seth Kinzie said he has done a keto diet in the past.
“I did it to support my family when they decided to go on the diet,” Kinzie said.
Senior Jenny Smith said currently she is on a no-grease diet.
“Basically, I try to eat little to no greasy or fast food,” Smith said. “I started in order to have more confidence and to help me get in shape for basketball.”
Freshman Tillie Bardwell said she is vegetarian.
“A lot of people think becoming vegetarian will make you skinny but it has actually helped me healthily gain weight,” Bardwell said. Ridenour said there are definite health benefits from her diet.
“Going gluten free pretty much got rid of my migraines,” Ridenour said. “It also really cleared my skin a lot.”
Smith also said she saw benefits.
“I have more energy and can just do more as far as sports and running up and down the court in basketball,” Smith said.
Many people on diets say eating out can be a stressful experience and make it difficult to find food options that work with their diets.
“Eating out can be really difficult because a lot of people don’t know what foods do or don’t contain gluten,” Ridenour said. “Also cross contamination can make me really sick.”
Smith said avoiding fast food can be “nearly impossible” when she has to eat out with others.
Changing eating habits also may affect family members’ eating habits.
“It has definitely affected our eating habits,” Ridenour said. “It really just helps us to eat healthier overall and we don’t really keep much junk food.”
Bardwell said her diet has also affected her family.
“My mom has done it with me except she eats some fish so she’s more pescetarian,” Bardwell said. “During the holidays my other family members had to make separate dishes for us or we had to bring our own.”