• November 29🌸 We're ready for spring 🌸
  • September 29Go Wildcats!
  • September 28Goodluck PGWB band, Ladycats, and Wildcats!!!!!
The No. 1 news source of Archer City High School

Cat's Claw

Cat's Claw

Cat's Claw

Need for speed

Freshman pursues barrel racing passion
Courtesy photo
Freshman Makaligha Beamon barrel races with her horse Whiskey at the NRS arena in Decatuar

The rush of adrenaline is everything.
That need for speed is fueled through Beamon’s barrel racing.
“I’ve been riding horses since I could barely walk and started barrel racing when I was 3,” Beamon said.

“My Pawpaw put me on a horse, and I immediately fell in love.”

— Makaligha Beamon

Beamon’s grandfather is now passed but that doesn’t stop her from continuing something he started with her.
“I keep riding for the ones who no longer can,” she said.
Barrel racing is Beamon’s favorite thing to do, and she said even practicing the pattern is a form of therapy for her.
“I practice three times a week,” Beamon said. “I wish it could be more, but I keep my horse Whiskey at my dad’s, and I only go there on weekends.”
Beamon said her favorite horse is her current one because he is a good partner and hard-working.
“Whiskey is my best friend,” Beamon said. “I treat my horse like he’s human almost because of how close I am to him.”
Beamon said with the amount of money that is spent on him, he might as well be a person.
“Taking care of Whiskey is really expensive, but it is worth it,” Beamon said. “All of his tack costs over $1,000, his feed costs $50 per bag, and hay is $120 per month.”
The money she wins from her competitions helps pay for some things, but the majority is paid for by both of her parents.
“My parents are both very supportive and work to help me pay for the thing I love doing the most,” she said.
Beamon won $140 at her last race with a 20-second run. She said that even though that wasn’t the best time, she was very proud because Whiskey always pulls through for her.
“My fastest time is an 18.2,” Beamon said. “I was so happy and proud to achieve this that I cried tears of joy.”
Beamon said her main goals for Whiskey and her are to stay healthy and do better than the race before, and that is all that matters.
“Whiskey’s health is the most relevant thing when it comes to my sport,” Beamon said. “If he isn’t in the right shape, then everything else is irrelevant.”