National Honor Society inducts new members in candlelit ceremony

Emily Shephard, Editor-in-Chief

The National Honor Society inducted 11 new members on October 13.
The inductees were sophomores Luke Deerinwater, Isaac Dieguez, Adelyn Harvey, Sam Machtolff, Canyon McDonald, Cort Miller, Alyssa Schroeder, Brooke Smith, Thomas Vogtsberger, Estefani Zea Monroy and senior Ira Hotsuliak.

It felt really good to get inducted into NHS

— Thomas Vogtsberger

,” Vogtsberger said. “I’m really glad that I can finally serve my community through the chapter.”
The new members were inducted via a candlelit ceremony followed by a breakfast in NHS sponsor Karen Brunker’s lab. The breakfast included egg casserole and a fruit tray.
“The breakfast was honestly one of my favorite parts,” Miller said. “I was super hungry since we had induction in the morning rather than on a Sunday.” NHS president Candace Taggart, vice president Fallon Blair, secretary Kadence Huffman, fundraiser chair Jill Liles and community service chair Louren Conner spoke at the induction ceremony.
“Being president of NHS is an amazing opportunity to improve on my leadership skills,” Taggart said. “The inductees look promising and I’m glad they will be the future leaders of the school.”
Conner said she is “hopeful” about the future of NHS with the new inductees being inducted.
“It’s a lot of responsibility to make decisions for NHS,” Conner said. “Every year we seem to be inducting new members and I hope the future is the same.”
NHS also hosted a Krispy Kreme donut sale 13-21 of Oct. and distribution was today.
“I think what we are doing is giving the kids more opportunity to give back to the community and raise more money,” Karen Brunker said.
The annual chicken spaghetti luncheon will be held Nov. 13.