Honor society sets record with induction of 20 members

Senior+Taylor+Sims+pins+sophomore+Kennedy+Huseman+with+the+emblem+of+the+National+Honor+Society.+

Carol Cox

Senior Taylor Sims pins sophomore Kennedy Huseman with the emblem of the National Honor Society.

The National Honor Society has “high expectations” for the school year, said senior Anna Richardson.

“The NHS is going to be involved in several more community projects than last year,” Richardson said. “We plan on going to Faith Mission sometime this year.”

Twenty students were inducted to the NHS Nov. 1.

“It is going to be a great year,” sponsor Bethann Oswald said. “We have a total of 46 members in NHS now, which is a new record.”

With such a large group, Richardson said there will be more funding, and the NHS will be able to go on bigger and better trips.

“This will also bring more leadership throughout the community,” she said.

Sophomore Kennedy Huseman said she is grateful for such an honorable opportunity.

“I am also thankful to have a GPA high enough to be eligible and hope to maintain the qualifications throughout the year,” she said.

Ms. Oswald said the society is made up of good, hard workers.

“The more the merrier when it comes to the number of students involved,” she said. “It is fun to work with such a large group, and it makes my job easier with the great attitudes and participation of the members.”

It is going to be a great year. We have a total of 46 members in NHS now, which is a new record.

— sponsor Bethann Oswald

The sponsors and officers have been discussing an option for the annual NHS trip.

“We are thinking about going back to the Dallas Theater Center, which is where we went two years ago,” Ms. Oswald said. “There is a possibility of seeing the production of ‘Romeo and Juliet’ on a multilevel stage in February.”

The NHS trip two years ago was to the same theater to see ‘A Christmas Carol.’

“The Dallas Theater Center was a cool environment to be in,” Richardson said. “The stage has multiple levels, and the actors would be attached to strings flying across the stage. I would love to go back.”