Students, faculty show off personal talents, abilities

Paige Victory

Sophomore Justin Mabry plays the guitar.

Paige Victory, News Editor

Got talent? The students and teachers showed what they can do.

When living in Mexico as a child, Spanish teacher Ruben Martinez learned how to play soccer with his brothers.

“I used to play with my brothers and relatives in the streets when we were kids.” Martinez said. “Everytime I play, it reminds me of home and everything I left behind.”

Freshman Delaini Hanna has a knack for twisting things out of place.

“Nine years ago,” Hanna said, “someone else could do turn their arm all the way around, so I thought I’d try, and I’ve been doing it ever since.”

Eighth grader Karli Wilson is a twirler for Ms. Donnette Odam.

“When I was in third grade, I saw a baton, and it was super sparkly,” Wilson said. “I begged my mom if I could try it, so she signed me up for lessons, and now here we are.”

Band director Karen Brunker was put into piano lessons when she was young, and she has been playing ever since.

“It’s a great place you can go and get lost and forget about all of the problems in the world,” she said.

Senior Trey Strickland brags about his ability to flip around in the air.

“I kind of taught myself when I was little to do a back flip,” Strickland said. “The first couple of times I didn’t land on my feet, but I got it down pretty quick.”

Eighth grade English teacher Becky Nogle shares her love of different accents.

“I started out with a British accent when I was four or five, and I would read ‘The Sword and the Stone’ to my mom using it,” Mrs. Nogle said. “I didn’t get my Jersey accent down until I was well into adulthood though.”

Nogle said that she enjoys giving voices to all the different “people” inside of her.

Say cheese! Senior Lane Collins has his own business, LC Photography.

“I started feeling inspired by pictures on Instagram, so I bought a camera and picked it up,” Collins said. “I like doing it because for one, I make really good money, and I enjoy helping people look their best.”

Sophomore Justin Mabry said he enjoys playing the guitar both in his free time and at his church where he is a part of Remedy’s band.

“I just love how unique each piece is,” Mabry said. “It speaks to every person, and there’s a song for everybody.”

Freshman Luke Haehn said juggling isn’t a hobby; it’s a lifestyle.

“We got a tennis ball machine,” Haehn said, “and Carter [Hilbers] was juggling and it made me want to try.”