• November 29🌸 We're ready for spring 🌸
  • September 29Go Wildcats!
  • September 28Goodluck PGWB band, Ladycats, and Wildcats!!!!!
The No. 1 news source of Archer City High School

Cat's Claw

Cat's Claw

Cat's Claw

Wildcats begin basketball season by competing in 3 tournaments

Carol Cox
Senior Kline Mayo dribbles up the court followed by Chance Warren.

The varsity boys basketball team went 1 – 3 in the Wildcat Classic basketball tournament.
“We played Vernon, Newcastle, Quinlan Boles and Old High, junior Haegen Deerinwater said.”
The boys lost to Vernon and Old High, won against Newcastle and lost by three to Quinlan Boles.
“We saw some good competition,” Deerinwater said. “Some of the games we played were definitely a beat down, but we learned valuable things and ultimately got better as a team.”

we learned valuable things and ultimately got better as a team.”

— Haegen Deerinwater

The boys have set their personal and team goals for this year.
“My personal goal is to average double digits in points each game,” junior Landon Smith said. “I think our team goal would be to pass the ball more and to practice hard every day.”
Junior Kellar Crow said that he just wants to have a good season.
“I want this season to be fun and full of good times,” Crow said. “I want to be able to work as hard as we can at being better and personally want to score double digits each game.”
Deerinwater’s team goal is to have a winning record.
“Our team goal is to stay positive in our wins,” Deerinwater said. “I also hope we get past first round and go as far as we can into the playoffs.”
Deerinwater’s personal goal is to have 100 steals by the end of the year.
“Right now I have 31 steals all together,” Deerinwater said. “We have about 15 games left, so I would have to average seven steals a game to reach my goal.”
Deerinwater also has a goal for his senior year.
“My last year of basketball I want to reach 1,000 career points,” Deerinwater said. “This is a goal I’ve had since I was little and I hope I can obtain it.”
The boys have one more tournaments this year.
“We play in the Windthorst tournament,” senior Kline Mayo said. “I hope we can win a tournament this year to boost our confidence.”
Smith said that he likes tournaments because they give the team a “feel of how they will play in district.”
“When we play in tournaments, we are against bigger schools, so we can know how we will play in district,” Smith said. “Also they can help us understand what we need to do better as a team and personally.”
Mayo said the boys are expected to “do well in district and make it to playoffs.”
“We should thrive in district,” Mayo said, “and depending on how hard we practice, we should put up a fight in playoffs.”