• November 29🌸 We're ready for spring 🌸
  • September 29Go Wildcats!
  • September 28Goodluck PGWB band, Ladycats, and Wildcats!!!!!
The No. 1 news source of Archer City High School

Cat's Claw

Cat's Claw

Cat's Claw

Students describe being only children as calm, serene as well as lonely, and boring

Senior+Chandler+Nelson+is+the+only+child+of+his+parents%2C+Tama+and+Eric+Nelson.+
Courtesy photo
Senior Chandler Nelson is the only child of his parents, Tama and Eric Nelson.
Being an only child is different than growing up with a big family.
“My life is very calm and less chaotic than my friend with a big family since there is less kids,” eighth grader Lexi Wall said.
Seventh grader Faith Franke said she thinks that her friends with bigger families have many differences than hers.
“My friends with big families normally have bigger homes than I do since we do not need as much room,” Franke said.
Franke said her home is not as big because it is just her and her parents.
Senior Chandler Nelson said that because he has a smaller family, he doesn’t have to worry about family arguments as much as a big family.“I don’t have to worry about a lot of family drama which gives me less things to stress about and my family does not usually have family get together since it is just us,” Nelson said.
Wall said even though being an only child is fun, it can also be boring.
“I get lonely because I  am always alone unless I am  with my parents, but they work, and I can’t always be at a friend’s house,” Wall said.
Social isolation in early childhood can affect a child speech, physical, and mental health, Anybabycan.org
“Sometimes you need a buddy to do things with, but since it is just me, I feel like I am  alone sometimes,” Franke said.
Franke said she thinks being an only child is an advantage because she does not have to share her belongings with anyone.
Wall agrees with the advantages of being an only child.
“I think one advantage is that I get more attention from my parents because I don’t have to compete with anyone else,” Wall said.
Nelson said he gets what he wants most of the time because he is the only kid in the house.“I get spoiled by my parents and don’t have to worry about other siblings,” Nelson said.
Junior Justin Perez also said he agrees that his parents spoil him.
“I don’t have to share my things and I get what I ask for most of the time,” Perez said.
Growing up alone, Perez said he will ask for help if he needs it but he prefers to do things on his own, this has made him independent.
“I think that because he grew up as an only child it made him a very independent person growing who does not like to ask for help,” Nelson said.
Only children may learn to be self-reliant at an early age, as they do not have siblings to rely on for companionship or help with tasks. Thriveworks.com
“I have always been pretty independent,” Wall said  I did want a sibling at one point, but only because I didn’t want to be alone.”