• November 29🌸 We're ready for spring 🌸
  • September 29Go Wildcats!
  • September 28Goodluck PGWB band, Ladycats, and Wildcats!!!!!
The No. 1 news source of Archer City High School

Cat's Claw

Cat's Claw

Cat's Claw

Junior undergoes surgery which affects day-to-day life

+Junior+Malia+Jones+stands+next+to+sophomore+Serenity+Jones+after+surgery.+
Curtesy Photo
Junior Malia Jones stands next to sophomore Serenity Jones after surgery.

As the doctors walked into the waiting room after a six-hour surgery, they told junior Malia Jones’ parents that everything went perfectly.
Malia underwent spinal fusion due to severe scoliosis and prepared by taking medications, vitamins and specific lotions.

“This surgery is very major,”

— Malia Jones

Malia said. “I have had to stop taking any Advil or ibuprofen, haven’t been able to use certain hygiene products and had to adjust to the pre – surgery medications they gave me.”
After Malia’s surgery she faced obstacles.
“I had to learn to walk all over again,” Malia said. “It wasn’t easy especially since right after surgery I had to get up and walk around the hospital.”
Malia said she had to wear her glasses for the surgery.
“I have been wearing glasses ever since my surgery because I wasn’t allowed to wear contacts during it,” Malia said. “It was definitely a huge change because I never wore my glasses until now.”
Other changes Malia had to overcome was her posture.
“Before my surgery I didn’t sit straight up,” Malia said, “but now I’m stuck in this upright position. It was weird at first, but now it’s comfortable.”
Malia said she won’t be able to drive for a whole month.
“My sister and mom have had to be my Uber lately,” Malia said. “Because of the pain medication I’m on, I can’t drive.”
Malia’s sister, sophomore Serenity Jones, said that helping her sister get around the house has been hard.
“Her surgery took a long time,” she said, “but we waited for her, and when she was ready, I walked with her around the hospital.”
Serenity said that she has helped Malia with school assignments, picking out her clothes and other things.
“The main thing I’ve been doing is spending time with her,” Serenity said. “I know she hates sitting at home all day, so I’ve been hanging out with her and keeping her entertained.”
Malia said that her recovery involves lots of walking and working out.
“As soon as I am up to it, I’m going to start practicing volleyball, so I can get ready for the season,” she said.
This next volleyball season will be Malia’s senior year.
“I just want to have the most normal sports season as I can,” Malia said. “I know there will be setbacks. But as long as I start working hard, I believe I will be okay for all my sports next year.”