Competition provides driving force behind students, athletes

Freshman+Jed+Castles+avoids+a+tackle+in+the+game+against+Petrolia+

Freshman Jed Castles avoids a tackle in the game against Petrolia

Mathew Walker, Opinions Editor

The thrill of victory or the agony of defeat. Students, whether in a sport or on an academic team, experience both the highs and lows of competition.

For some student athletes, the game is the only thing that gives them a reason to play sports.  The competition fuels their drive.

“Competition gives me a goal to achieve,” sophomore Lindy Reid said. “It makes me want to do my best and not let down my team.”

The competition that sports provide can be taken as entertainment or as a challenge.

“It makes me want to do my best to help our team advance and win the game against the other team,” sophomore Justin Mabry said.

Competition can bring people together and make them friends, senior Kaitlyn Miller said. It can make people on teams help each other and be there for one another.

“I love to meet people and make new friends and sports allow me to do that,” Miller said. “I can rely on my team to be there for me when I have nobody to talk to.”

Competition gives me a goal to achieve.

— Sophomore Lindy Reid

Competition does not only apply to the athletic division for the students. It is also included in the academic parts of school. UIL academics, robotics, FFA and other teams all compete at meets during the school year.

“I really enjoy learning and competition and UIL combines the both of them,” eighth grader Natalya Walker said. “UIL helps me learn things that are beyond my grade.”

Teachers and coaches are also affected by what happens when students win or lose. They both are required to prepare each student and athlete for their meets and games.

“I get as nervous or more nervous than my students because they want to succeed and I want them to as well,“ UIL speech coach Becky Nogle said.

Succeeding at a sport or event, however, does not always mean winning first place.

“I want them to look back and have things to learn from,” Mrs. Nogle said. “I want them to look back and have good and helpful memories. Sometimes the helpful memories come from the wins and sometimes the losses.”