3 earn journalism honor

Achieving enough academic points over the year at the University Interscholastic League journalism competitions, senior Olivia Taggart and former students Maeley Herring and Maurisha Murphy have been named to the 2016-2017 All-State Journalism staff.

UIL has grown into the largest interschool organization of its kind in the world, working to organize and properly supervise contests that assist in preparing students for citizenship.

“This is the third year in a row that a member of the Cat’s Claw staff has accumulated enough points to earn a spot on the All-State Journalism staff,” journalism teacher Carol Cox said. “These ladies’ efforts in UIL journalism as well as their work on the newspaper are worthy of being recognized. I’m very proud of them.”

In order to be eligible for the staff, students must be involved in scholastic journalism in Texas. Points are earned by competing and placing in UIL events and in Interscholastic League Press Conference contests.

“I’m so glad that Ms. Cox filled out and submitted an application for me. I didn’t even realize the competitions I placed in would accumulate points,” Taggart said. “Becoming a member of the All-State Journalism staff is a major honor, and it’s really a testament to  Ms. Cox’s journalism lessons that many of her students have made it onto the staff.”